Provincial furniture is most popular one in the market, because it has an elegant look and the complete reliance on traditional patterns which give an aesthetic and luxurious appeal to your country house. Most of the provincial furniture is available in white color and when you decorate your home with this furniture like, queen size bed, grand dining table and chairs and wardrobe, your home exudes a charm of its own. There are unique characteristics of this type of furniture. The provincial furniture embraces and highlights the decorative elements mostly. Styles from various French country provinces are emulated to create this kind of furniture. The furniture is mostly upscale and is solid and heavy usually. This is one notable feature of the provincial furniture.
What are the features of provincial furniture?
- Modern furniture is sleek and contemporary. It is at time monochrome, at times colorful and at times very morbid. There is not much indication of symmetry and it is indicated and represented by crisp lines. These are not heard of in the case of provincial furniture. Craved legs and ornamental furniture that was the highlight of the 17th century and the 18th century is now a luxury due to the fact that the labor cost is high. The work is also extensive on these aspects. Decorative elements are embraced in the realm of French provincial furniture.
- The upholstery that was done in the provincial furniture is used to display country scenes like a wheat pattern or farmers working at fields. The exhibition of rustic designs was the main trend of provincial furniture. Upholsters and carpenters usually produced works which depicted mythological and biblical scenes at any time. Iron was the most common choice as steel was expensive and it was not easily available too. Wood was the most dominant feature at that point of time and was easy to carve too. Ornamentation was a common thing at that point of time and it was made immensely meaningful with the inclusion of fruits and flowers which symbolized heavenly grace and hearts that depicted love. Provincial furniture this depicted the simple ideas that were shared by country folk.
Provincial furniture: a vintage look with better longevity
Shopping for such kind of furniture in modern times can be a real confusing thing to do. Those bygone eras depicted intricate carvings. Cravings that was reminiscent of the bible and other common folklore. The easiest way to pick out such provincial furniture is to simply go for items that are carved well but not overtly intricately, pieces that have minimal veneers and nil marquetry. Upholstery using silk and velvet was also not favored at that time due to the prices.
- Popular woods for such kind of furniture includes oak and mahogany are used for making this furniture. These are in modern times deemed expensive furniture. Walnut and fruitwoods were also used in the production of provincial furniture in those times. The pieces with least amount of screws should be picked up as these are more sturdy and durable. You should be wary of cheap imitations that sellers with lesser intent dupe you with.
- It is better to go with unvarnished or unpainted wood as this makes up more for rustic pieces of furniture rather than the refined and polished pieces that we all are so accustomed to in modern living.
- You should know the difference between actual vintage provincial furniture and cheap imitations. The vintage furniture is very expensive and hard to find.
Provincial furniture adds a very distinctive look to the room and integrates style and comfort effortlessly under one roof. If you want to furnish your home with an elegance look then you can use this provincial furniture and for that, you can search through several online portals, and choose your favorite design accordingly.