Dust is a huge threat to the millions of workers who are exposed to it on a regular basis. All the manufacturing industries produce dust of some form or the other. It is dangerous to health leading to many respiratory as well as skin diseases.
Sometimes, a cloud of dust that is inflammable can explode to serious fires. Eyes too can be affected by the dust particles and can cause irritation and other visual problems. Due to all these ill effects of dust, many industries and workplaces have a dust extraction system to enhance the safety and efficiency of the workers and overall workplace.
Dust extraction systems are a part of the government regulation that has to be followed by all industries. These systems are responsible for maintaining adequate concentration both inside and outside the plant. It works using vacuum pressure to release contaminated air through an airtight system by systematic filtration. They also expel the air inside or outside at proper emission levels.
A dust extraction system is beneficial for any plant because of its ability to draw in particulates that are blown more into the air when swept or blown. You can install a permanent system if you have a large plant or go for portable ones if your business is not a long-term one. This system also provides a protective layer to the machinery by cleaning off the dust from them to prevent the risk of explosion.
Regardless of your reasons for installing a dust extraction system, it demands proper care and maintenance to retain its functionality. The filter media is an important part of the dust extraction system, which differs from plant to plant depending upon the quality of dust that is produced. This filter may either be dry or wet, within cartridges, bags, cyclones, booths, etc. In some cases, the charged ions may be helpful in the job of filtration but mostly we encounter the following types of filters:
- To eliminate dry dust, commonly a synthetic, non-woven cellulose type of filter is used.
- With a synthetic surface, polyester-silicon blend filter provides efficient performance. They allow better dust release for the cleaning purpose.
- To get rid of hot, moist, or sticky dust spun-bond filters are mostly used. Here the cartridges need regular cleaning.
- To treat hazardous types of dust and achieve zero emissions HEPA filters are used.
- In some applications, cloth filters are also used.
Dust extraction systems vary in capacity, size, material, and location depending upon its needs and usage.
Benefits of installing dust extraction systems
Some benefits that can be achieved by installing the right kind of dust extraction systems are:
- It helps to achieve dust compliance.
- It protects the health of the worker from diseases that are more likely to happen due to exposure to dust like asthma, skin cancer, etc.
- Improves the overall comfort in the workplace. It leads to the prevalence of a healthy environment where the workers can concentrate on their work and increase their work efficiency.
- It provides a cleaner and pure air to breathe devoid of any harmful contamination.
- The machines that are exposed to too much of dust may wear out fast. So, when there is clean air, the machines are more functional and have a prolonged life.
- A dust extraction system protects the workers from any kind of injury or accident.
- They help in the enhancement of production.
- A good safety record can be maintained when the air in the workplaces is clean.
A dust extraction system is a must to control dust inside a workplace so as to maintain a healthy environment and to get a better quality of work.