Roof access hatch facilitates direct and safe access to the areas of the roof through several ways, for example, the buildings which have high ceilings construct a ladder to access the roof and on the other hand buildings for office or school require a staircase. The main purpose to install hatches on the roofs of the building is that it is very convenient and helpful for the workers to work on rooftops. Firstly, the size of the roof hatches is to be considered because the size simply depends on two reasons-
- Firstly, whether the hatches are used for simply going to the roof.
- Secondly, either to remove, replace or install equipment and mechanical belongings from a building.
Once the size is finalized then, you need to come to the point of the materials to be used to construct roof access hatch. These depend upon some factors like the actual cost involved in using that particular material, the geographical location of the place where it is to be installed. Some examples of materials are-
- Stainless steel
- Galvanized steel
These materials are basically used to resist corrosion and as a long lasting base. These materials are quite tough and do not cause rusting or corroding. The roof access hatch remains intact and does not cause any damage to live or property.
The Various Situations In Which Roof Access Hatch Are Usually Constructed
- For residential buildings
- For non-residential or commercial buildings like schools, offices, hospitals, etc.
For Residential Buildings:
These are basically constructed for the purpose to relax and enjoy the weather on rooftops. These hatches on residential buildings help the residents to access the rooftop terraces. Either the sunshine at daytime or the glazing moon at night-time both can be felt and seen beautifully from the room under the rooftops. These sights make the room very attractive. A roof access hatch which is connected to a staircase can give you several advantages as well. Advantages of roof hatches are as follows:
- All the electrical connections can be easily maintained.
- Helps the architects or designers in any installation process.
- Provides a large space for the terrace
- Protects the loss of heat from the rooms underneath
For Non-Residential Buildings:
The main purpose for constructing roof hatches on non-residential or commercial buildings is to allow any sort of maintenance or installation of machines like units of air conditioners etc. which needs access to the roofs of the buildings. In earlier days people used long ladders to climb the roof. This acted as a disadvantage for them as the space was quite limited and was very tiring as to climb so many steps. It also involves a lot of risks for the person in climbing as he may fall or injure himself. The various advantages of roof access hatch on non-residential buildings are as follows:
- The main advantage is to construct or renovate only one floor which is underneath the roof.
- It makes the movement within the building instead of outward movement to the roof by a ladder.
- The length gets reduced from long climb to a short climb about 3 meters.
The Safety Precautions That Must Be Kept In Mind While Constructing Roof Access Hatch
The first priority is the safety of the customer to handle the hatch properly for example-the roof access hatch which is two-handed that means It has two opening glass panes that should be carefully handled. Secondly, some of the hatches are designed in such a way that it is easy to lift with one hand and makes it convenient to use. The ladders which are attached should be tightly fixed. No careless work should be involved in the process of construction.